Convert to Islam: https://untoislam.com
About Us: https://untoislam.com/about-us
Contact Us: https://untoislam.com/contact-us
Live QA Session: https://untoislam.com/live-qa-session
Sponsor|Donate|Support|Help Us: https://untoislam.com/donate
Gene Netto - Motivational Speaker From New Zealand Talks About Converting to Islam (Australia)
Today we speak with Gene Netto, a motivational speaker who lives in Indonesia. Join us as we discuss everything about the topic of converting to Islam.
- Converted in 1996 at the age of 25
- Aged 50
- Born in New Zealand, moved to Australia with his family, aged 18, went to university there, then moved to Indonesia aged 25, until now
- Currently lives in Jakarta, Indonesia, since 1995
- Is an English teacher, teacher trainer, writer, editor, translator
- Is passionate about education, religion, dawah, charity, social work, speaking out on violence against children in Indonesia, politics, international relations
Gene's hobbies and interests include:
- Writing, blogging, daily Facebook posts in Indonesian language.
- Personal counseling about religion, education, personal problems.
- Giving speeches about Islam in mosques, offices and homes.
- Motivational speaking (mostly for orphans, teachers, etc.)
- Social work (eg. helping poor people set up a small business, like a food stall).
- Fundraising for Charity. In the past few years, he has collected and distributed about $USD 250,000 in Indonesia, all for orphans and widows, disabled children, and poor people to help them start a small business, etc.
- Learning and teaching Silat (Indonesian martial art) since 1996 (not active at the moment)
I am an English teacher from New Zealand and Australia. I have a BA in Asian Studies and a Graduate Diploma in Education. I have been living and working in Indonesia from 1995 until now. My longest job was as a Senior English Language Teacher at a language school for 7 years. I also taught in Private Schools and Businesses in Jakarta. I am a member of the Indonesian Teachers Association, and a teacher trainer. I am also a writer, editor, translator, public speaker, motivator, personal counselor, and often help friends with business development, marketing and strategic analysis. I also teach creative thinking, brainstorming, and organizational development.
I am often asked to teach non-Muslims about Islam, and also teach some non-practicing Muslims about Islam. I frequently guide and help new converts, and many people (Indonesian and westerners) have converted to Islam after discussing religion with me. I sometimes talk with Indonesian Muslims who have not done salat for 20-30 years, and after one conversation with me, they start praying 5x again.
In the past few years, I have been trying to establish a free national teacher training program to improve the quality of 3 million teachers in Indonesia. They teach 60 million students every year. I have set up a not-for-profit foundation in Indonesia to build that program and several others, but don't have any funding yet to start my programs.
I am often busy with a wide range of activities in Jakarta, including writing a book about Christianity and Islam, editing books and articles, giving speeches about Islam, running charity and social programs for orphans and poor children, giving advice and counseling about various subjects such as education, religion and social problems.
I have a Facebook page and blog in Indonesian language, both of which are updated daily.
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gene-Netto/321218826597
Gene studied Islam with:
- KH. Masyhuri Syahid MA, from 1996-2007. Kyai Masyhuri was the Head of the Fatwa Commission in the Majelis Ulama Indonesia (MUI). He died in 2007.
- Prof. Dr. Ali Mustafa Yaqub (the Grand Imam of Istiqlal Mosque, Founder of Darus-Sunnah Institute for Hadiths Science in Jakarta, professor at the National Islamic University (UIN). He died in 2016.
- Dr. Cholil Nafis (Head of the Dakwah Commission in the Majelis Ulama Indonesia (MUI).
- And several others
About the Becoming Muslim Podcast
Do you have questions about Islam? Are you looking for a new direction in life?
The Becoming Muslim podcast at https://untoislam.com is made for those who are in the midst of researching Islam. It also suits newly converted Muslims.
Our podcast offers a wide variety of audible resources. From captivating stories of converts to discussions on day to day Islamic practices, Unto Islam allows for each individual to cater to their spiritual needs.
(1) How to convert to Islam
(2) What it means to be Muslim
(3) Why Islam has helped others
As Muslims do not engage in missionary work, our site is only here to help those who want to know more about our faith and creed.
Adee is the founder of UNTOISLAM.COM.
Born and raised in Australia with ancestors from the UK and Indonesia and is currently living in Brisbane Australia.
Aged 44 with a wife and three kids, Adee enjoys trying to stay healthy, learning about Islam and spending time with his family.
Adee converted to Islam at the age of 25 in 2002.
See full profile page here.